Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

New purchases

Long time no see! I have been on a trip to Normandie, Guernsey and Jersey. It was a nine day trip on the road from morning to evening, so I had not so much time to blog. There will be some reports from our trip which was very nice and interesting, as well as a few short reviews of books read lately.

During the trip I was exhausted in the evenings and I just read a few very easygoing historical fiction books. Now at home again I will go back to One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It is a little bit more demanding to read.

Today I went to a "Book Festival" and though I was very restricted and disciplined (at least I thought so myself!) I came back with 16 books! Yes, I know. As if I don't have several TBR shelves already full of books. But when the books cost 2-5 € each, it is difficult to resist.

Of the 16 books I have divided them into four piles; five books with favourite authors, six books with authors I wanted to read, three with biographical content and two thrillers.


Favourite authors

Diana Gabaldon, The Scottish Prisoner - a 'side' book out of her Outlander series. I love historical fiction and Diana Gabaldon writes very well.

Philip Kerr, Prague Fatale - I read his book The Quiet Flame and loved it. Therefor I grabbed this one and I am sure I will not be disappointed.

Tracy Chevalier, Burning Bright - historical fiction at its best. London at the end of the 18th century.

Catherine Cookson, Kate Hannigan's Girl. Read several books by her when I was young, but that was a long time ago. I recently read a biography about her To be a lady: Story of Catherine Cookson by Cliff Goodwin and, after that interesting account of her life, I wanted to read something else by her.

Paulo Coelho, Adultery. I think Coelho does not need a lot of introduction. I recent read his The Witch of Portobello and loved it. This should be an interesting read.



Authors or books I wanted to read

Jessie Burton, The Miniaturist - several of you have written reviews on this book, and it is on my to read list. I was very happy to find it here.

Fay Weldon, Long Live the King and The New Countess - historical fiction from the beginning of the last century. Not what I normally connect with Fay Weldon, but historical fiction is never wrong in my life. I have only read Lives and Loves of a She-Devil by her.

Karin Alvtegen, Betrayal - should really have been under the title above. I have read one book by her and it was great. A Swedish author writing about people who are slightly outside the normal society.

Alice Munro, Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You - wanted to read her ever since she got the Nobel Prize. Here is my chance.

Karin Slaughter, Faithless - a lot of you read books by her and I have been curious to read something of hers. They had several books by her, but this was the first one I saw.


Biographies

Edna O'Brien, Byron in Love - Byron life is always fascinating to read about. I just realise she is the author who wrote Zee & Co which I read, and I think saw the movie, many years ago.

Marjorie Graham, Up in Lights - was expected to grow up a respectable girl, but her desire in dance took her to the theatre and a life in the lights.

Elisabeth Luard, My Life as a Wife - This is about the marriage between Elisabeth and the 'King of Satire' Nicholas Luard. I have never heard about any of them, but it seems like an interesting life story.

Thrillers

I don't read a lot of thrillers. I love them, so I don't really know why I don't?? The first books I saw were two thrillers and only for 2€ each.

Lotte and Sören Hammer, The Hanging - a Danish couple and considering the high number of excellent thrillers coming from the Scandinavian countries, I thought it was not to be missed.

Lucie Whitehouse, before we met - Introduced as "A whirlwind romance. A perfect marriage. Hannah Reilly has seized her chance at happiness. Until the day her husband doesn't come home . . . Sounds exciting.

Of course I would like to start reading them all right away. But, alas, I have obligations to other books, so they have to wait a little bit.


Comments

  1. Such a great stack of books to come home with, lucky you! I have read The Miniaturist and enjoyed it very much, you're in for a treat with that one for sure.
    Thanks for visiting my blog Normandy Life today, I always enjoy meeting new bloggers especially when they have interesting book recommendations such as these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to The Miniaturist, it has got good reviews. I am very happy with the books I found.
      I love reading your blog, looking at the beautiful pictures and reading about your life there. Sounds lovely. Feel more connected to Normandie now when we have travelled around part of it. It is really a wonderful area.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster